Transferee and Re-Joiner Police Constables - Police Driving Instructors
British Transport Police (BTP) are looking to recruit a number of Qualified Police Driving Instructors at Constable rank across various locations.
Officers will deliver driver training to operational Police Officers and Police Staff within the Force to comply with National Police Driving Standards in compliance with College of Policing APP, NPCC guidance and legislation, ensuring the individual courses attendees needs are fully met, and relevant occupational and operational standards are achieved.
Our instructors will be at the forefront of our switch to 100% electric police vehicles over the next few years. BTP leads nationally and has developed the National Electric Vehicle Training package for the College of Policing. Our instructors will train drivers from BTP and other Home Office forces in our new fleet of high-performance electric response vehicles such as KIA EV6, Polestar 2 and Tesla Model 3. We really are a force on the move!
We are hoping to have Officers based in London, Home Counties bordering London and C Division (which includes all other BTP locations out of London and up towards Scotland). Successful candidates will generally travel from home in an unmarked training vehicle to deliver training at various locations within their division.
More information about this vacancy can be found in the attached ‘Job Description'.
Why join BTP?
BTP police and protect 10,000 miles of track and 3,000 railway stations every day; a network that is at the heart of Britain's community, commerce and industry. Join us and you’ll be providing specialist policing to a unique community in a unique environment, dealing with rewarding challenges that you won’t find in any other Force.
We work hard to protect the public and those who work in and around our transport hubs by promoting law and order on the rail network, preventing crime and providing a reassuring presence. We are a Force that cares and strives to meet the ever-changing demands of our key stakeholders and partners. We are a modern and inclusive workforce offering geographical flexibility, better work/life balance and a commitment to our staff and Officer development.
Here at BTP you will have the chance to excel in your career and broaden your skillset.
How to apply?
The recruitment process is simple! Please select the ‘apply’ button below where you will be directed to our application form.
During the process you will be asked to upload a copy of your latest PDR. If you are unable to provide this due to length of time away from previous Force, then please upload a blank document in its place.
Initial Eligibility Criteria
- We welcome applications from Officers who are serving or have served in a Home Office Police Force
- Those applying on a transferee basis must be substantive in the rank of Constable, having completed the full probationary period
- Those applying to re-join service must have satisfactorily completed their probationary period and resigned or retired from their previous force. There is currently no time limit restriction in place for re-joiners, we will consider all ex-officers on application
- Applicants must have lived in the UK for 3 consecutive years prior to application
- Applicants must not be currently subject to any unsatisfactory performance reviews/ action plans or live warnings. We are unable to vet someone who is currently under investigation at their current Force therefore we would ask you to apply to BTP once the matter is resolved
- Applicants with an existing CCJ or unmanaged IVA will not be able to apply. We are also not able to accept applications from those currently bankrupt
Please note: re-joiner applicants may be subject to a training needs analysis as required on joining BTP. Training requirements cannot be assessed on a speculative basis and this will be discussed during your induction.
Role Specific Eligibility Criteria
- Must hold a recognised College of Policing Driving Instructors Qualification at Standard Level (or have been an active instructor within 12 months)
- Must have relevant teaching/training experience and have achieved or be willing to undertake a Level 4 or Level 5 training qualification
- Must hold or be willing to obtain assessor and verifier qualifications
Attached you will find our Transferee/Re-joiner recruitment pack which offers vital information on pay and pensions as well as other FAQs! The recruitment team also welcome any questions via email on Recruitmentteam@btp.police.uk. If you would like to speak to a member of the recruitment team please leave your name and number on your email and we will contact you as soon as possible.
Some of our locations attract an allowance in addition to basic salary, attached you will find a breakdown of these allowances by station.
This opportunity is closed to applications.