Witness & Case Review Officer
British Transport Police (BTP) are recruiting Witness & Case Review Officers on Permanent Contract & 12 Month Fixed Term, 24/7 Contract roles (with possibility of leading to permanent) paying £30,614.33 plus 20% Shift Allowance plus £2,835.11 London Allowance per annum based at Albany House, London.
During training (average 6-8 weeks) you will be expected to be in the office full time however once fully trained you will be in a position to work remotely from home and from the office. Typical working week once fully trained will be 3 days working from home and 2 days in the office and shifts are as follows 7am-4pm / 1pm-11pm / 9pm-7am. BTP is the national police Force for the rail network throughout Great Britain, including London Underground, across which we ensure the safety and security of nearly 3 billion passenger journeys and over 100 million tons of freight every year. The world in which we work is fast-paced, operationally and commercially demanding, and constantly changing.
As a Witness & Case Review Officer with BTP you will be responsible all aspects of evidential case file review and witness care in-line with the Criminal Justice timeframes and procedures. This will include evidentially reviewing case files; managing witness care; facilitating CPS Charging advice; providing guidance on national file standards; advising on disclosure requirements; quality assuring and providing case file guidance and Niche case file preparation.
As a Witness & Case Review Officer you will be required to:
- Review case files and provide guidance to OICs and Supervisors on evidential and Criminal Justice requirements, including CPIA and NFS requirements.
- Prepare case papers in consultation with the OIC for referral to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS), ensuring files are submitted in accordance with the CPS requirements including RASSO & ABC cases. Raise Postal Requisitions, as and when required, within set timescales and guidelines.
- Build and maintain effective links between the National Justice Unit and other external stakeholders such as the Crown Prosecution Service and other agencies to optimise working relationships.
Further information about this vacancy can be found in the attached job description.
The successful Witness & Case Review Officer will be required to evidence the following:
- Proven experience in evidence review or case file preparation
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbally, and excellent report writing/keyboard skills.
- High attention to detail, be self-motivated and able to cope with sensitive, stressful/pressured situations and must be able to empathise with victim/witness of crime. Must be able to prioritise, manage time effectively and work to targets
- Ability to persuade, negotiate and influence others, providing sound and justified rationale
If you are interested in applying then please do not delay as interviews will be held as soon as appropriate candidates are highlighted. In return for your experience, we can offer you:
- Salary £30,614.33plus 20% Shift Allowance plus £2,835.11 London Allowance per annum
- Yearly base salary increments
- Working from home allowance available to purchase suitable equipment for blended & home working
- 28 days annual leave plus bank holidays
- Family friendly policies including up to 26 weeks paid maternity and adoption leave
- Bespoke benefits platform and access to Blue Light Card
- Development opportunities including fully funded apprenticeships
- Employee assistance programme and dedicated wellbeing hub
- Pension Scheme
BTP is an employer who cares about the impact we have on the environment and the wider challenges of climate change, and as such we are committed to reducing our carbon footprint and achieving Net Zero Carbon (NZC) through offsetting by 2035.
At BTP we are proud guardians of the railway and it is crucial that we represent the diverse communities we serve and protect. As ‘One BTP’ across the UK, we know that diversity, inclusion and belonging help us improve our decision making, foster creativity and drive innovation so all our people can thrive.
Our vacancies are open to everyone and all appointments are made based on merit. So that we can become more diverse we encourage applications from candidates from Black, Asian, and minority ethnic backgrounds, women, people who have a disability, those who are neurodiverse and persons who identify as LGBTQI+. If you have the skills, experience and values that here in BTP we pride ourselves on then we would welcome you to apply.
In order to apply, you must have the permanent right to live and work in the UK and have been resident in the UK for the previous 3 YEARS / 5 YEARS (dependant on the level of vetting required of the role). You will be asked these and other questions to determine your eligibility to work for British Transport Police when you start your application and you must answer honestly.
BTP has undertaken a review of Police Staff pensions and as a result of this the Police Staff pension will be changing. The current police staff pension is a Defined Benefit scheme which is administered by the Railways Pension scheme. The new pension scheme which is launching is a Defined Contribution scheme which is administered by Royal London. The new pension scheme is awaiting formal approval and an introductory date is not finalised. The earliest this will be is April 2023. If you have any queries, please contact the recruitment team – firstname.lastname@example.org
Internal candidates must have completed their probation for their current substantive posting and can only apply in tenure if Head of Department approval is emailed to Recruitmentteam@btp.police.uk prior to the vacancy closing. Internal candidates must confirm that they are not subject to formal action plans for sickness/complaints/discipline or poor performance and that all mandatory training courses have been attended and are in ticket/up to date. A minimum indicator of 3 / developing' or' 'Indicator 5 / no rating must have been achieved on the last reporting year PDR.
This opportunity is closed to applications.