A Business Manager is required for a permanent role paying £43,052.57 plus £2835.11 London Allowance per annum with British Transport Police (BTP) based at our Force Headquarters in Camden, London. This role offers a blended approach of home and office working, however, you will be required to attend our London office as and when required for business needs.
BTP is the national police force for the rail network throughout Great Britain, including London Underground, across which we ensure the safety and security of nearly 3 billion passenger journeys and over 100 million tons of freight every year. The world in which we work is fast-paced, operationally and commercially demanding, and constantly changing. As Business Manager for the Director of Finance, Commercial Services & Estates, you will be at the heart of the force’s senior management team, where you will be responsible for coordinating comprehensive and effective support to the Director in their day to day business as well as ensuring that statutory duties and functions across the portfolio are effectively fulfilled.
As Business Manager, you will be required to:
- Decide on the most appropriate course of action in relation to a wide range of queries, documents, reports and correspondence; drafting replies and presentations as necessary.
- Manage relationships with key internal and external stakeholders on behalf of the function.
- Identify and implement business and procedural improvements when required.
- Lead on the professional correspondence and the production of official reports for the portfolio Director and wider Chief Officer Group where appropriate.
- Represent the Director as requested at senior meetings in their absence and chair meetings on behalf of the Director where required.
Further information about this vacancy can be found in the attached job description.
The successful Business Manager will be required to evidence the following:
- Qualified to degree level or equivalent professional qualification.
- Substantial experience of handling complex queries and correspondence.
- Experience of successfully managing change and ability to learn new processes quickly.
- Experience of working on own initiative, and partnering with team members to deliver initiatives and business improvement.
- Experience of managing a busy diary and conflicting priorities.
- Experience of handling confidential and sensitive information.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with proven experience of building productive relationships with senior stakeholders and colleagues.
- Experience of report writing and the regular production of high quality documents for senior management.
- High degree of tact, discretion and sensitivity.
If you are interested in applying to this Business Manager role then please do not delay as interviews will be held as soon as appropriate candidates are highlighted.
In return for your experience, we can offer you:
- £43,052.57 plus £2835.11 London Allowance per annum
- Yearly base salary increments
- Working from home allowance available to purchase suitable equipment for blended & home working
- 28 days annual leave plus bank holidays
- Flexible agile working approach
- Family friendly policies including up to 26 weeks paid maternity and adoption leave
- Bespoke benefits platform and access to Blue Light Card
- Development opportunities including fully funded apprenticeships
- Employee assistance programme and dedicated wellbeing hub
- Pension scheme
BTP is an employer who cares about the impact we have on the environment and the wider challenges of climate change, and as such we are committed to reducing our carbon footprint and achieving Net Zero Carbon (NZC) through offsetting by 2035.
At BTP we are proud guardians of the railway and it is crucial that we represent the diverse communities we serve and protect. As ‘One BTP’ across the UK, we know that diversity, inclusion and belonging help us improve our decision making, foster creativity and drive innovation so all our people can thrive.
Our vacancies are open to everyone and all appointments are made based on merit. So that we can become more diverse we encourage applications from candidates from Black, Asian, and minority ethnic backgrounds, women, people who have a disability, those who are neurodiverse and persons who identify as LGBTQI+. If you have the skills, experience and values that here in BTP we pride ourselves on then we would welcome you to apply.
In order to apply, you must have the permanent right to live and work in the UK and have been resident in the UK for the previous 5 years. You will be asked these and other questions to determine your eligibility to work for British Transport Police when you start your application and you must answer honestly.
BTP has undertaken a review of Police Staff pensions and as a result of this the Police Staff pension will be changing. The current police staff pension is a Defined Benefit scheme which is administered by the Railways Pension scheme. The new pension scheme which is launching is a Defined Contribution scheme which is administered by Royal London. The new pension scheme is awaiting formal approval and an introductory date is not finalised. The earliest this will be is April 2023. If you have any queries, please contact the recruitment team – firstname.lastname@example.org
Internal candidates must have completed their probation for their current substantive posting and can only apply in tenure if Head of Department approval is emailed to Recruitmentteam@btp.police.uk prior to the vacancy closing. Internal candidates must confirm that they are not subject to formal action plans for sickness/complaints/discipline or poor performance and that all mandatory training courses have been attended and are in ticket/up to date. A minimum indicator of 3 / developing' or' 'Indicator 5 / no rating must have been achieved on the last reporting year PDR.
This opportunity is closed to applications.