A Mobile Safety Vehicle (MSV) Operator is required for a Fixed Term (until March 2024) role paying £24,391.58 per annum plus Shift Allowance, with the British Transport Police (BTP) based in Ashford, Kent.
BTP is the national police Force for the rail network throughout Great Britain, including London Underground, across which we ensure the safety and security of nearly 3 billion passenger journeys and over 100 million tons of freight every year. The world in which we work is fast-paced, operationally and commercially demanding, and constantly changing. As MSV Operator with BTP you will deploy and operate Mobile Safety Vehicles at sites throughout the Area whilst contributing towards changing driver behaviour and reducing road casualties.
As MSV Operator you will be required to:
- Maintain, prepare and operate MSV fitted with Technical, Camera and associated Survey Equipment and carry out daily calibration of camera equipment
- Responsible for identifying level crossing offences
- Process digital images and data downloads from MSV deployments by interpreting evidence according to established guidelines and procedures and submit to the relevant authorities.
- Compile Crime Reports and witness statements for the attention of the CPS. Ensure timely and accurate submission of these and other relevant reports as required.
Further information about this vacancy can be found in the attached job description. The successful MSV Operator will be required to evidence the following:
- The ability to work alone without direct supervision
- Remain calm under pressure should an incident arise whilst deployed
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Good attention to detail
- The ability to work with minimum supervision but also as part of a team
- Be self-motivated with good organisational skills
If you are interested in applying to this MSV Operator role then please do not delay as interviews will be held as soon as appropriate candidates are highlighted. In return for your experience, we can offer you:
- Salary of £24,391.58 per annum plus Shift Allowance
- Yearly base salary increments
- 28 days annual leave plus bank holidays
- Flexible agile working approach
- Family friendly policies including up to 26 weeks paid maternity and adoption leave
- Bespoke benefits platform and access to Blue Light Card
- Development opportunities including fully funded apprenticeships
- Employee assistance programme and dedicated wellbeing hub
- Pension scheme
BTP is an employer who cares about the impact we have on the environment and the wider challenges of climate change, and as such we are committed to reducing our carbon footprint and achieving Net Zero Carbon (NZC) through offsetting by 2035.
At BTP we are proud guardians of the railway and it is crucial that we represent the diverse communities we serve and protect. As ‘One BTP’ across the UK, we know that diversity, inclusion and belonging help us improve our decision making, foster creativity and drive innovation so all our people can thrive.
Our vacancies are open to everyone and all appointments are made based on merit. So that we can become more diverse we encourage applications from candidates from Black, Asian, and minority ethnic backgrounds, women, people who have a disability, those who are neurodiverse and persons who identify as LGBTQI+. If you have the skills, experience and values that here in BTP we pride ourselves on then we would welcome you to apply.
In order to apply, you must have the permanent right to live and work in the UK and have been resident in the UK for the previous 3 YEARS. You will be asked these and other questions to determine your eligibility to work for British Transport Police when you start your application and you must answer honestly.
BTP has undertaken a review of Police Staff pensions and as a result of this the Police Staff pension will be changing. The current police staff pension is a Defined Benefit scheme which is administered by the Railways Pension scheme. The new pension scheme which is launching is a Defined Contribution scheme which is administered by Royal London. The new pension scheme is awaiting formal approval and an introductory date is not finalised. The earliest this will be is April 2023. If you have any queries, please contact the recruitment team – firstname.lastname@example.org
Internal candidates must have completed their probation for their current substantive posting and can only apply in tenure if Head of Department approval is emailed to Recruitmentteam@btp.police.uk prior to the vacancy closing. Internal candidates must confirm that they are not subject to formal action plans for sickness/complaints/discipline or poor performance and that all mandatory training courses have been attended and are in ticket/up to date. A minimum indicator of 3 / developing' or' 'Indicator 5 / no rating must have been achieved on the last reporting year PDR.