Prevent Officer (x2)
British Transport Police (BTP) are recruiting for 2 permanent Prevent Officers. This role is paying £36,529.65 plus £3033.56 London Allowance per annum and will be based at our Force Headquarters in London. This role offers a blended approach of home and office working.
BTP is the national police Force for the rail network throughout Great Britain, including London Underground, across which we ensure the safety and security of nearly 3 billion passenger journeys and over 100 million tons of freight every year. The world in which we work is fast-paced, operationally and commercially demanding, and constantly changing.
Our Professional Standards Department (PSD) plays a key role in helping uphold the standards of professional behaviour by addressing the threat of corrupt activity by Police Officers, Staff, Partners and Volunteers. This work has a direct impact on public trust and confidence. As part of the team, and reporting to the Prevention and Intervention manager, you will be required to:
- Use accepted theory and research and the latest data driven technology to develop an understanding of key cultural and conduct issues prevalent in BTP and design, develop and deliver solutions through one to one and group interventions.
- Use a coaching approach to persuade and influence key stakeholders and work with teams and individuals to reduce misconduct, improve standards of behaviour, eliminate unacceptable behaviour and attitudes and challenge and change cultural norms.
- Support and improve supervision through the promotion of reflective practice as a development tool and other timely interventions.
- Create products to support behavioural and cultural change which are evidence based.
- Promote the work of Professional Standards Department and our Speak Up system.
Further information about this vacancy can be found in the attached job description.
The successful Prevent Officers will be required to evidence the following:
- Level 3 Award in Education and Training or equivalent or be willing to work towards this within 2 years of being appointed into the post
- Level 5 Coaching qualification or equivalent or be willing to work towards this within 2 years of being appointed into the post
- Proven track record of driving through change and delivering long lasting results
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to articulate messages to a variety of audiences
- Strong problem solving, negotiating, influencing and interpersonal skills
- Sound judgement and decision-making skills
How to apply:
If you are interested in applying to the role, then please click "Apply" below and submit an up to date copy of your CV along with your responses to the two questions below:
- Please provide an example of a time when you have changed the behaviour of a group or individual. What approach did you take and how did you know the intervention was a success?
- What are the main challenges you expect to face in undertaking this role?
Please ensure that your CV and responses to the two questions are submitted as one PDF document as there is no option on the system to upload them separately. You must submit a CV and responses to the two questions in order for your application to be considered.
In return for your experience, we can offer you:
- £36,529.65 plus £3033.56 London Allowance per annum
- Yearly base salary increments (subject to satisfactory performance in previous PDR year)
- Working from home allowance available to purchase suitable equipment for blended & home working
- 28 days annual leave plus bank holidays
- Family friendly policies including up to 26 weeks paid maternity and adoption leave
- Bespoke benefits platform and access to Blue Light Card
- Development opportunities including fully funded apprenticeships
- Employee assistance programme and dedicated wellbeing hub
- Excellent Pension scheme
BTP is an employer who cares about the impact we have on the environment and the wider challenges of climate change, and as such we are committed to reducing our carbon footprint and achieving Net Zero Carbon (NZC) through offsetting by 2035.
At BTP we are proud guardians of the railway and it is crucial that we represent the diverse communities we serve and protect. As ‘One BTP’ across the UK, we know that diversity, inclusion and belonging help us improve our decision making, foster creativity and drive innovation so all our people can thrive.
Our vacancies are open to everyone and all appointments are made based on merit. So that we can become more diverse we encourage applications from candidates from Black, Asian, and minority ethnic backgrounds, women, people who have a disability, those who are neurodiverse and persons who identify as LGBTQI+. We use positive action to encourage potential candidates from underrepresented groups through targeted workshops or advice sessions. If you have the skills, experience and values that here in BTP we pride ourselves on then we would welcome you to apply.
If you have any questions about the application process, please email our friendly and helpful team where we will be happy to help you: RecruitmentTeam@btp.police.uk. If your question related to equality or diversity then you can also contact our Equality, Diversity and Inclusion team directly at: PART-Recruitment@btp.police.uk To reassure you, anything you ask us will be in the strictest confidence and will not form part of your application.
In order to apply, you must have the permanent right to live and work in the UK and have been resident in the UK for the previous 5 years. You will be asked these and other questions to determine your eligibility to work for British Transport Police when you start your application and you must answer honestly.
BTP GPP Police Staff Pension Scheme is administered by Royal London and this is a group personal pension plan which is available to all police staff. It’s a defined contribution scheme, offering employees the flexibility to vary their pension contributions from 4.4% to 12% of their salary. For more information, visit the Royal London dedicated pension page or email us at Pension-Queries@btp.police.uk .Please note if you are an existing member of Police Staff in the RPS your pension will not be affected.
Internal candidates must have completed their probation for their current substantive posting and can only apply in tenure if Head of Department approval is emailed to Recruitmentteam@btp.police.uk prior to the vacancy closing. Internal candidates must confirm that they are not subject to formal action plans for sickness/complaints/discipline or poor performance and that all mandatory training courses have been attended and are in ticket/up to date. A minimum rating of 3 (performing) or a rating of U (no rating) must have been achieved on the last reporting year PDR.
This opportunity is closed to applications.