Experienced Firearms Constables - Home Office ARV Applicants
British Transport Police (BTP) are looking to recruit qualified Transferee or Re-joiner ARV Officers as Police Constable at our Birmingham and Manchester specialist hubs.
BTP’s Authorised Firearms Officers provide the travelling public with a highly visible and reassuring presence, helping to achieve our objective to increase public confidence, whilst also working to detect and deter terrorism on the rail network. Our firearms officers are trained to the same national Armed Response Vehicle (ARV) profile used across all UK police forces, and are able to provide a swift and capable response to live incidents and emerging threats.
Why join BTP?
BTP police and protect 10,000 miles of track and 3,000 railway stations every day; a network that is at the heart of Britain's community, commerce and industry. Join us and you’ll be providing specialist policing to a unique community in a unique environment, dealing with rewarding challenges that you won’t find in any other Force.
We work hard to protect the public and those who work in and around our transport hubs by promoting law and order on the rail network, preventing crime and providing a reassuring presence. We are a Force that cares and strives to meet the ever-changing demands of our key stakeholders and partners.
Here at BTP you will have the chance to excel in your career and broaden your skillset. This is your opportunity to join a modern, inclusive and forward-thinking force in a highly-trained role offering geographical flexibility, better work/life balance and a commitment to our staff and Officer development.
How to apply?
The recruitment process is simple! Please select the ‘apply’ button below where you will be directed to our application form.
During the process you will be asked to upload a copy of your latest PDR. If you are unable to provide this due to length of time away from previous Force, then please upload a blank document in its place.
It is imperative you upload your latest Firearms Training Record which will be given to the CFI for review.
Initial eligibility criteria
- We welcome applications from Officers who are serving or have served in a Home Office Police Force. We do not currently accept Transferee applications from MOD Police or CNC
- Those applying on a transferee basis must be substantive in the rank of Constable, having completed the full probationary period
- Those applying to re-join service must have satisfactorily completed their probationary period and resigned or retired from their previous force.
- Applicants must currently be serving in an armed capacity or have served in an armed capacity within 12 months*
- Applicants must have served a minimum of 12 months in your current role if you have previously transferred from a force from which we do not accept transferees (MOD/CNC)
- Applicants must have lived in the UK for 5 consecutive years prior to application
- Applicants must not be currently subject to any unsatisfactory performance reviews/ action plans or live warnings. We are unable to vet someone who is currently under investigation at their current Force therefore we would ask you to apply to BTP once the matter is resolved
- Applicants with an existing CCJ or unmanaged IVA will not be able to apply. We are also not able to accept applications from those currently bankrupt
*Please be advised if you applying as a re-joiner your start date must fall within 12 months of your last date in service as an operational Firearms Officer. Please contact recruitment prior to application to check future course dates.*
Attached you will find our Transferee/Re-joiner Firearms Officer recruitment pack which offers vital information on pay and pensions as well as other FAQs! The recruitment team also welcome any questions via email on Recruitmentteam@btp.police.uk. If you would like to speak to a member of the recruitment team please leave your name and number on your email and we will contact you as soon as possible.
Some of our locations attract an allowance in addition to basic salary, attached you will find a breakdown of these allowances by station.
The closing date for this vacancy is Monday 28th November at 17:00 and interviews will take place in December.
At this moment in time we are unable to offer bespoke Transferee Firearms Courses so successful applicants will be required to complete the full Initial Firearms Course (12 weeks) on joining.
At BTP we are proud guardians of the railway and it is crucial that we represent the diverse communities we serve and protect. As ‘One BTP’ across the UK, we know that diversity, inclusion and belonging help us improve our decision making, foster creativity and drive innovation so all our people can thrive.
Our vacancies are open to everyone and all appointments are made based on merit. So that we can become more diverse we encourage applications from candidates from Black, Asian, and minority ethnic backgrounds, women, people who have a disability, those who are neurodiverse and persons who identify as LGBTQI+. We use positive action to encourage potential candidates from underrepresented groups through targeted workshops or advice sessions. If you have the skills, experience and values that here in BTP we pride ourselves on then we would welcome you to apply.
This opportunity is closed to applications.