Communications Officer - Force Control Room London
British Transport Police are recruiting Communications Officers to work in our Force Control Room, London.
As a Communications Officer with BTP you will be expected to provide call handling and radio dispatch for the British Transport Police and manage the police response to incidents ensuring that public and officer safety is maintained at all times.
Communications Officers are required on a permanent contract paying up to £32,327 depending on experience (inclusive of London allowance & shift allowance) with British Transport Police (BTP) based in our Force Control Room in Central London.
BTP is the national police Force for Britain’s rail network. Every day we ensure the safety and security of over six million passengers and railway staff throughout England, Scotland and Wales. As a Communications Officer you will be working in a safety critical role and you will be required to:
- Provide call handling and radio dispatch for the British Transport Police and manage the police response to incidents
- Record information accurately while assessing the information to decide on the appropriate level of response
- Demonstrate the ability to work as part of a team while meeting tight deadlines.
- Cover a 24/7/365 rota consisting of early, late and night shifts
The successful Communications Officers will be required to evidence the following skills:
- Excellent communication skills.
- Manage situations in a calm and assertive manner.
- Utilise different communication methods (e.g. telephone, radio, email)
- The ability to learn and use new IT packages
In return for your experience, we can offer you:
- Up to £32,327 (inclusive of 20% shift allowance and London Allowance)
- 28 days annual leave plus bank holidays
- Final salary pension
- Various salary sacrifice schemes (cycle to work/childcare) and retail discount
The hours can be highly unsocial as you will be working a shift pattern that will include early starts, late finish times, and night shifts. However, there are few careers that are as interesting, exciting and fulfilling as working as a Communications Officer for BTP. With your help, we can continue to police the rail network, investigate crime and safeguard the most vulnerable. ‘We are BTP’ – come and join us. Make a difference. *Please note the advertised salary is currently under review with the potential to increase*
Further information about this vacancy can be found by attending our Open Evening taking place on the 16th April 6pm in Camden. Please click here to register:
The Assessment Centre will take place on Wednesday 15th May, Thursday 16th May or Thursday 23rd May. If you pass the shortlisting stage for this opportunity then you need to be available to attend one of these dates.
Please note that training is scheduled to start in August 2019
We want our organisation to be as diverse as the community it serves and welcome applications from everyone. You must have both the permanent right to live and work in the UK and have been permanently resident in the UK for at least the previous three years. Any cautions or convictions including those deemed ‘spent’ must be declared at the point of application but will not necessarily exclude you from employment.
We kindly ask agencies not to send CVs. If CVs are received BTP reserve the right to engage with the candidate directly and without a fee being paid under any circumstances.
This opportunity is closed to applications.