Health and Safety (H&S) Advisor
A HEALTH & SAFETY ADVISOR is required for a FIXED TERM 12 MONTH CONTRACT role paying up to £29,735.46 plus £2,570 LONDON ALLOWANCE per annum with British Transport Police (BTP) based in LONDON.
BTP is the national police Force for the rail network throughout Great Britain, including London Underground, across which we ensure the safety and security of nearly 3 billion passenger journeys and over 100 million tons of freight every year. The world in which we work is fast-paced, operationally and commercially demanding, and constantly changing. As HEALTH & SAFETY ADVISOR with BTP you will proactively promote a positive health and safety environment. Provide Occupational Health and Safety and Fire advice to support all relevant Managers and employees to assist them in complying with their Occupational Health and Safety and Fire obligations in line with all relevant Health, Safety and Fire legislation and guidance. In addition to this you must also comply with BTP standards, objectives, guidelines, codes of practice and statutory requirements.
As HEALTH & SAFETY ADVISOR you will be required to:
- Provide H&S advice to relevant Division/departments in accordance with the H&S Strategy, Plan and agree standards of work to ensure that BTP is appropriately advised on all health and safety matters to maintain compliance with legal requirements and Force policies and procedures.
- Advise Line Management on matters such as legal and technical standards
- Attend event planning and operations/events planning meetings to provide health and safety support and advice to ensure the safety of personnel.
- Assist in the review of risk assessments for new buildings, premises and refurbishments and BTP premises.
- Review inspections and assist inspections conducted by Line Managers.
- When required, review specific risk assessments for DSE Workstation, Expectant Mothers, Return to Work, Stress and other assessments as required. Give help in the undertaking of complex assessments, liaising with the Manager, Occupational Health and HR teams as appropriate.
Further information about this vacancy can be found in the attached job description. The successful HEALTH & SAFETY ADVISOR will be required to evidence the following skills:
- A recognised health and safety professional qualification. (minimum NEBOSH certificate or equivalent in Occupational Health and Safety. To be working towards a NEBOSH Diploma or equivalent)
- Identify opportunities for improving process, efficiency and effectiveness.
- Help colleagues to meet deadlines by sharing and managing workloads where necessary.
If you are interested in applying to this HEALTH & SAFETY ADVISOR role then please do not delay as interviews will be held as soon as appropriate candidates are highlighted. In return for your experience, we can offer you:
- Salary up to £29,735.46 plus £2,570 LONDON ALLOWANCE
- 28 days annual leave plus bank holidays
- Final salary pension scheme
- Other benefits include a bespoke BTP rewards platform and various salary sacrifice schemes such as cycle to work as well as many high street and online retail discounts
We want our organisation to be as diverse as the community it serves and welcome applicants from all sections of the community. In order to apply, you must have the permanent right to live and work in the UK and have been resident in the UK for the previous 3 years. You will be asked these and other questions to determine your eligibility to work for British Transport Police when you start your application and you must answer honestly.
Candidates internal to BTP must confirm that they are not subject to formal action plans for sickness/complaints/discipline or poor performance, that all mandatory training courses have been attended and are in ticket/up to date, that a ‘Competent’ rating, or above, was achieved on the last reporting year PDR and they have completed their tenure period (12 months) for current substantive posting.
This opportunity is closed to applications.