Scene of Crime Officer - Birmingham/Nottingham
A Scene of Crime Officer is required for a permanent role paying £27,824.32 plus 10% Shift Allowance plus 10% On Call Allowance with British Transport Police (BTP) based in Birmingham/Nottingham.
BTP is the national police Force for Britain’s rail network. Every day we ensure the safety and security of over six million passengers and railway staff throughout England, Scotland and Wales. As a Scene of Crime Officer with BTP you will attend and assess scenes of crime. To record, investigate, examine and recover forensic evidence to assist officers in achieving identification of offenders.
To advise on all forensic matters i.e. scene preservation, packaging, cordons and submission of exhibits.
To attend railway fatalities, assist in the recovery of the deceased along with any related evidence.
As a Scene of Crime Officer you will be required to:
• Attend scenes of crime and major incidents, conduct a full examination to gather all relevant evidence and maximise the potential of all evidence recovered from that scene. To ensure that the scene is documented and photographed. All items recovered are correctly exhibited, packaged and that continuity is maintained and secure.
• Obtain and understand all relevant information relating to the scene, decide on the types of examination necessary, maintain control of the scene whilst on site and advise officers on scene cordons and scene preservation.
• Responsible for the implementation of dynamic risk assessments whilst on scene and put safe working practices into place to ensure own personal safety and the safety of those around you whilst working. Provide credible witness evidence at court to support identification procedures
Further information about this vacancy can be found in the attached job description.
The successful Scene of Crime Officer will be required to evidence the following skills:
• Ability to work calmly and accurately under pressure, with the ability to communicate both orally and written report form with people of all levels
• Proven ability for problem solving and creative practical skills
• Possess a degree in forensic science, other related qualifications and/or relevant experience in the field.
If you are interested in applying to this Scene of Crime Officer role then please do not delay as interviews will be held as soon as appropriate candidates are highlighted. In return for your experience, we can offer you:
In return for your experience, we can offer you:
• Salary £27,824.32 plus 10% Shift Allowance and 10% On Call Allowance
- 28 days annual leave plus bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Other benefits include a bespoke BTP rewards platform and various salary sacrifice schemes such as cycle to work as well as many high street and online discounts.
- We want our organisation to be as diverse as the community it serves and welcome applicants from all sections of the community. In order to apply, you must have the permanent right to live and work in the UK and have been resident in the UK for the last five years. You will be asked these and other questions to determine your eligibility to work for British Transport Police when you start your application and you must answer honestly.
- Candidates internal to BTP must confirm that they are not subject to formal action plans for sickness/complaints/discipline or poor performance, that all mandatory training courses have been attended and are in ticket/up to date, that a ‘Competent’ rating, or above, was achieved on the last reporting year PDR and they have completed their tenure period for current substantive posting.