A Data Developer is required on a permanent contract paying £44,051.38 plus £2,700.10 London Allowance per annum with British Transport Police (BTP) based in Force Headquarters, London. This an exciting opportunity for a motivated individual to work directly with the Data Science team, to be responsible for the technical transformation of data within the force that will enable collection, cleaning, integration and modelling to aid insights and predictive modelling.
BTP is the national police Force for the rail network throughout Great Britain, including London Underground, across which we ensure the safety and security of nearly 3 billion passenger journeys and over 100 million tons of freight every year. The world in which we work is fast-paced, operationally and commercially demanding, and constantly changing. As a Data Developer with BTP you will be working with large rich datasets, managing data workflows, building analytics tools and ETL processes. Your work will directly assist the Data Science function to build effective and accurate data models that help to provide actionable insights into key areas of operational and strategic policing decision to help protect people and increase efficiency and effectiveness in policing the Railway.
As Data Developer you will be required to:
- Transform data using ETL (Extract, Transform and Load) processes to ensure the data is easily accessible and efficiently built
- Actively seek out and collect a variety of data inputs from internal and external sources to inform predictive policing and enhance analytical insight.
- To ensure that the data pipeline, the acquisition and processing of data – is working efficiently for the Data scientists and insight teams.
- Develop algorithms to help make raw data more useful to the Data Science and Analytical teams
Further information about this vacancy can be found in the attached job description.
The successful Data Developer will be required to evidence the following skills:
- Minimum of Degree required in a Computer Science or related quantitative field.
- Strong experience in the application of ETL tools and/or associated programming tools including scripts, XML, TSQL/PLSQL, Power BI, R and Python.
- Experience of using technical solutions to solve complex data problems.
- Experience using MySql, Oracle and Mongo Db
- Strong experience of supporting and manipulating complex data sets within an Azure environment.
If you are interested in applying to this Data Developer role then please do not delay as interviews will be held as soon as appropriate candidates are highlighted. In return for your experience, we can offer you:
- Salary £44,051.38 plus £2,700.10 London Allowance per annum
- 28 days annual leave plus bank holidays
- Pension Scheme
- Other benefits include a bespoke BTP rewards platform and various salary sacrifice schemes such as cycle to work as well as many high street and online retail discounts
We want our organisation to be as diverse as the community it serves and welcome applicants from all sections of the community. In order to apply, you must have the permanent right to live and work in the UK and have been resident in the UK for the previous 3 years. You will be asked these and other questions to determine your eligibility to work for British Transport Police when you start your application and you must answer honestly.
Candidates internal to BTP must confirm that they are not subject to formal action plans for sickness/complaints/discipline or poor performance, that all mandatory training courses have been attended and are in ticket/up to date, that a ‘Competent’ rating, or above, was achieved on the last reporting year PDR and they have completed their tenure period (12 months) for current substantive posting.
This opportunity is closed to applications.