Senior Commercial Manager
A Senior Commercial Manager is required for a Permanent Contract role paying £49,383.00 plus £2,634.25 London Allowance (if applicable) plus £7,000 Market Supplement per annum with British Transport Police (BTP) based in Birmingham or Force Headquarters, Camden, London.
BTP is the national police force for the rail network throughout Great Britain, including London Underground, across which we ensure the safety and security of nearly 3 billion passenger journeys and over 100 million tons of freight every year. The world in which we work is fast-paced, operationally and commercially demanding, and constantly changing. As Senior Commercial Manager with BTP you will be accountable for compliance with complex procurement law and Cabinet Office best practice when undertaking individual procurement tender exercises (circa 90 per annum per post).
Challenging stakeholders (including Chief Officers) in ensuring requirements are output based and don’t favour any particular supplier.
Leading contract management delivery/training and strategic supplier management for their respective area of the business, i.e. maintain commercial and contractual oversight for major deals once they have been let.
As Senior Commercial Manager you will be required to:
- To advise and support as required Authority Members, Chief Officers, Directors, Heads of Service and Managers across the organisation on procurement matters, including legislation, Central Government (CG) guidance and UK and EC regulations; category management; quality, volume and price analysis, business requirement capture, tender management, evaluation and monitoring; sourcing strategy, market trends and intelligence; innovation; supplier offerings; and how to document service requirements for contractual purposes to maximise value for money.
- To interpret the corporate and service policies, strategies, business plans and programmes of the organisation and to ensure delivery of measures that deliver cost effective to support these policies.
- Managing procurement activity, including ensuring the timely delivery of procurement aspects of projects, within budget and take a key role in managing the competitive procurement process for organisations programmes, ensuring compliance with CG guidance and UK and EC regulations.
- Ensuring that each competitive tender is run in such a way that is compliant with complex procurement law and cabinet office best practice
Further information about this vacancy can be found in the attached job description.
The successful Senior Commercial Manager will be required to evidence the following skills:
- A fully qualified member of Chartered Institute of Purchasing (MCIPS) or is advanced in study and examination and on track for achieving MCIPS status within a 12 month period.
- Extensive and proven experience in a senior position within a Procurement, Commercial or Contract Management function.
- Effective and well tested negotiation skills within a commercial environment with a good understanding of commercial priorities and the realities.
- Strategic approach to fostering effective supplier relationships through efficient planning, development and management.
- Awareness of the challenges facing the police service and the public sector services and the role that procurement can play in delivering efficiency savings and ensuring effective service delivery.
If you are interested in applying to this Senior Commercial Manager role then please do not delay as interviews will be held as soon as appropriate candidates are highlighted. In return for your experience, we can offer you:
- Salary £49,383.00 plus £2,634.25 London Allowance (if applicable) plus £7,000 Market Supplement per annum
- 28 days annual leave plus bank holidays
- Final Salary Pension
- Other benefits include a bespoke BTP rewards platform and various salary sacrifice schemes such as cycle to work as well as many high street and online retail discounts
We want our organisation to be as diverse as the community it serves and welcome applicants from all sections of the community. In order to apply, you must have the permanent right to live and work in the UK and have been resident in the UK for the previous 3 years. You will be asked these and other questions to determine your eligibility to work for British Transport Police when you start your application and you must answer honestly.
Candidates internal to BTP must confirm that they are not subject to formal action plans for sickness/complaints/discipline or poor performance, that all mandatory training courses have been attended and are in ticket/up to date, that a ‘Competent’ rating, or above, was achieved on the last reporting year PDR and they have completed their tenure period (12 months) for current substantive posting.
This opportunity is closed to applications.