A Legal Researcher is required for a Permanent Contract role paying £29,735.46 plus £2,570 London Allowance per annum with British Transport Police (BTP) based in Central London Police Station, London.
BTP is the national police Force for the rail network throughout Great Britain, including London Underground, across which we ensure the safety and security of nearly 3 billion passenger journeys and over 100 million tons of freight every year. The world in which we work is fast-paced, operationally and commercially demanding, and constantly changing. As Legal Researcher with BTP you will conduct research into legislative and policy changes, case law decisions and academic material.
Providing an initial interpretation of potential changes, linking in with affected parties, formulating guidance and providing briefings as appropriate.
Providing recommendations to the Head of Legal Research.
As Legal Researcher you will be required to:
- Responsible for carrying out Horizon Scanning on behalf of the Force, identifying changes to legislation, policy and procedure, Codes of Practice as well as open consultations within Crime, Offender Management and the Criminal Justice arena.
- Responsible for interpreting potential changes, giving consideration to the impact on operational policing and Force functions
- Research criminal justice initiatives, evaluating the Force’s compliance and making evidence based recommendations for implementation
Further information about this vacancy can be found in the attached job description. The successful Legal Researcher will be required to evidence the following skills:
- Familiarity with analysing legal materials such as Green Papers, White Papers, Legislative Bills, Acts of Parliament, Hansard and case law
- High attention to detail including the ability to sift through large amounts of material utilizing their analytical skills to grasp key points
- Understanding of policing and the Criminal Justice process
If you are interested in applying to this Legal Researcher role then please do not delay as interviews will be held on 26th September 2019. In return for your experience, we can offer you:
- Salary £29,735.46 plus £2,570 London Allowance per annum
- 28 days annual leave plus bank holidays
- Final salary pension scheme
- Other benefits include a bespoke BTP rewards platform and various salary sacrifice schemes such as cycle to work as well as many high street and online retail discounts
We want our organisation to be as diverse as the community it serves and welcome applicants from all sections of the community. In order to apply, you must have the permanent right to live and work in the UK and have been resident in the UK for the previous 3 years. You will be asked these and other questions to determine your eligibility to work for British Transport Police when you start your application and you must answer honestly.
Candidates internal to BTP must confirm that they are not subject to formal action plans for sickness/complaints/discipline or poor performance, that all mandatory training courses have been attended and are in ticket/up to date, that a ‘Competent’ rating, or above, was achieved on the last reporting year PDR and they have completed their tenure period (12 months) for current substantive posting.
This opportunity is closed to applications.