A Force Armourer is required on a Permanent contract paying £32,622.55 per annum plus £2,520.00 London Allowance with British Transport Police (BTP) based in our Specialist Operations in London (N7).
BTP is the national police Force for Britain’s rail network. Every day we ensure the safety and security of over six million passengers and railway staff throughout England, Scotland and Wales. As BTP's Force Armourer you will be the Force subject-matter expert for all weaponry, responsible for the inspection, maintenance, and repair of all firearms, ancillary equipment, and less-lethal weapons at all of BTP's armed policing sites and associated armouries.
The Force Armourer is responsible for managing compliance in accordance with national legislation and force policy, and will facilitate internal and external audit and inspection activity which is critical to the retention of BTP's Firearms Licence.
As a Force Armourer you will be required to:
- Oversee and be accountable for the management of all three BTP Armouries, and all weaponry contained.
- Ensure that all weapon inspections are carried out in accordance with the College of Policing (CoP) guidance and manufacturers instructions.
- Manage the maintenance, servicing, repair and purchase of force firearms and associated equipment.
- Prepare weaponry and related equipment for daily use by Authorised Firearms Officers for both operational and training commitments, and assist in cleaning and securing all weapons after use. Maintain oversight of this activity at all three sites.
- Act as the Force Subject Matter Expert for weaponry, providing advice on matters including safe handling and clearing of firearms. Receive, secure, store and arrange secure disposal all firearms and ammunition seized as forensic evidence.
- Represent BTP as required at relevant national and regional external groups, committees and projects.
- Manage compliance with all relevant standards to ensure BTP complies with National Armed Policing requirements. Lead on the auditing and spot-checking of all force armouries as per BTP Armoury Policy.
- Maintain timely and accurate record keeping in relation to all firearms and ancillary equipment, less lethal weaponry, pyrotechnics, and ammunition.
Further information about this vacancy can be found in the attached job description.
The successful candidate will be required to evidence the following skills/experience:
- Police or military background with proven experience as an Armourer. Applications would be considered from will be considered from suitable persons who have been trained as gunsmiths in the civilian arms trade.
- Military Armourers Qualification (ie: Armed Forces Grade 1 or equivalent), and qualifications commensurate with the role (Level 5 Higher National Diploma in Engineering Ammunition Storeman course or similar).
- Experience in maintaining records systems relating to weapons systems, ammunition and firearms equipment.
- In-depth knowledge sufficient to act as the force Subject Matter Expert for BTP and as the Expert Witness for the Force when necessary.
- Demonstratable knowledge of the Firearms Act, Explosives Act, Health and Safety legislation, Control of Explosives Regulations, Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations, and Packaging of Explosives Regulations.
- Thorough knowledge of force weapon inspections, armoury operations and procedures, and current legislation and manufacturers' data to ensure compliance with College of Policing standards.
If you are interested in applying to this role then please do not delay as interviews will be held as soon as appropriate candidates are highlighted. In return for your experience, we can offer you:
- Annual salary of £35,142.55 per annum (inclusive of allowances).
- 28 days annual leave plus bank holidays
- Final salary pension
- Various salary sacrifice schemes and retail discounts
We want our organisation to be as diverse as the community it serves and welcome applications from everyone. You must have both the permanent right to live and work in the UK and have been permanently resident in the UK for at least the previous three years. Any cautions or convictions including those deemed ‘spent’ must be declared at the point of application but will not necessarily exclude you from employment.
We kindly ask agencies not to send CVs. If CVs are received BTP reserve the right to engage with the candidate directly and without a fee being paid under any circumstances.