Head of Internal Communications
A Head of Internal Communications is required for a permanent role paying up to £51,253.77 per annum with British Transport Police (BTP). This role can either be based in Camden, London or in Central Birmingham. (If based in London, this will also attract a London Allowance of £2,570.)
- Do you have a real passion for providing a first class internal communications service?
- Are you always looking for innovative ways to reach your audience?
- Do you want a career in which you can make a real difference?
BTP is the national police Force for the rail network throughout Great Britain, including London Underground, across which we ensure the safety and security of nearly 3 billion passenger journeys and over 100 million tons of freight every year. The world in which we work is fast-paced, operationally and commercially demanding, and constantly changing.
As Head of Internal Communications with BTP you will lead the internal communications function, deliver a sea change in improving employee awareness and understanding of the connection between their roles and our vision and values and to influence the organisational behaviours and culture to help us deliver that vision.
As Head of Internal Communications you will be required to:
Develop and deliver an internal communications strategy aimed at improving our employee’s understanding of the connection between their roles and BTP’s vision and values and how we behave towards one another. In this strategy you will understand the role that communications has in influencing organisational culture and employee engagement.
Build great relationships with our leaders and the External Communications team in order to constructively advise, influence and challenge senior leaders/Divisional Commanders on internal communications initiatives and on BTP’s strategic approach, helping them to understand the impact of corporate internal communications messaging on our people.
You will be able to coach leaders on their communication style and on how to engage and build dialogue with employees.
Further information about this vacancy can be found in the attached job description.
The successful Head of Internal Communications will be required to evidence the following skills:
- Extensive experience in dedicated internal communications role(s) at a senior level.
- Demonstrable experience leading the planning, development, delivery and measurement of internal communications that support cultural and organisational change within UK-wide and unionised organisations.
- A natural communicator, able to communicate at a high level both orally and in writing; enabling you to quickly and comfortably translate complex information and key strategic messages into plain English, engaging and inclusive messages for all to understand.
- Engage with and coach those who contribute stories and blogs in how to best connect with their audience.
- You will be able to evidence use project or programme management techniques to manage campaigns.
If you are interested in applying to this Head of Internal Communications role then please do not delay as interviews will be held as soon as appropriate candidates are highlighted. In return for your experience, we can offer you:
- Salary of up to £51,253.77 per annum (plus £2,570 London Allowance if applicable) with annual progression
- 28 days annual leave plus bank holidays
- Final salary pension scheme
- Other benefits include a bespoke BTP rewards platform and various salary sacrifice schemes such as cycle to work and childcare as well as many high street and online retail discounts
To apply for this position you must please include a copy of your CV and a detailed covering letter (addressed to Lisa Pulleyn, Business Manager) which should be uploaded as one document during the online application process.
We want our organisation to be as diverse as the community it serves and welcome applicants from all sections of the community. In order to apply, you must have the permanent right to live and work in the UK and have been resident in the UK for the previous 3 years. You will be asked these and other questions to determine your eligibility to work for British Transport Police when you start your application and you must answer honestly.
This opportunity is closed to applications.