We are making some big changes at BTP, and right now there is a great opportunity to join an organisation that is committed to modernising itself. As a member of the Finance team, you will be pivotal in driving this change forwards, starting with Finance itself.
BTP is the national police Force for the rail network throughout Great Britain, across which we ensure the safety and security of nearly 3 billion passenger journeys and over 100 million tons of freight every year. The world in which we work is fast-paced, operationally and commercially demanding, and constantly changing. The front line is supported by a hard-working and reactive org support function, covering Finance, Commercial, Estates services, and People and Culture. Our org support teams ensure that our front line is effective at doing its job.
We are in the midst of a significant restructure across our org support functions, where we will be moving to a stronger business partnering approach, removing much of the transactional activity carried out today, with a focus on delivering more strategic level support. We will have an ongoing drive for continuous improvement in our processes, outputs, and ways of working. We are commencing a challenging journey of cultural change within Finance, and as a force more widely.
We need proactive, and driven, Finance professionals who up for the challenge of driving real cultural change in the organisation.
A Financial Accountant is required for a Permanent role paying up to £42,976.96 plus £2,634.25 London Allowance with British Transport Police (BTP) based in Force Headquarters, Camden, London.
BTP is the national police Force for the rail network throughout Great Britain, including London Underground, across which we ensure the safety and security of nearly 3 billion passenger journeys and over 100 million tons of freight every year. The world in which we work is fast-paced, operationally and commercially demanding, and constantly changing.
As Financial Accountant you will be required to:
- Manage the preparation of the financial statement, quarterly accounts and ad hoc reporting, including leading on the annual review of accounting policies.
- Liaise with internal and external audit, provide support to the Audit and Risk Committee including drafting clear and concise reports, implement audit recommendations arising from Internal Audit work.
- Support the development and implementation of financial systems processes and control improvements, creating a robust and fit for purpose financial control environment.
- Provide technical accounting advice within the finance team and to business areas, as required.
Further information about this vacancy can be found in the attached job description.
The successful Financial Accountant will be required to evidence the following skills and qualifications:
- A part qualified member of one of the five Consultative Committees of Accounting Bodies (CCAB) i.e. or a European or International equivalent qualification, including CIMA, or qualified by experience.
- Complies with the CPD requirements of their professional accountancy body.
- Extensive experience within a financial accounts team or in an audit practice.
- Demonstrate the ability to apply technical accounting skills to solve complex problems.
- Track record of building strong relationships with a wide range of internal and external organisations, partners and stakeholders working together to deliver successful outcomes.
In return for your experience, we can offer you:
- Salary up to £42,976.96 plus £2,634.25 London Allowance
- 28 days annual leave plus bank holidays
- Other benefits include a bespoke BTP rewards platform and various salary sacrifice schemes such as cycle to work as well as many high street and online retail discounts
We want our organisation to be as diverse as the community it serves and welcome applicants from all sections of the community. In order to apply, you must have the permanent right to live and work in the UK and have been resident in the UK for the previous 3 years. You will be asked these and other questions to determine your eligibility to work for British Transport Police when you start your application and you must answer honestly.
Candidates internal to BTP must confirm that they are not subject to formal action plans for sickness/complaints/discipline or poor performance, that all mandatory training courses have been attended and are in ticket/up to date, that a ‘Competent’ rating, or above, was achieved on the last reporting year PDR and they have completed their tenure period (12 months) for current substantive posting.
This opportunity is closed to applications.