Detective/Police Constable Transferees - Surveillance Officer
BTP police and protect 10,000 miles of track and 3,000 railway stations every day - a network that is at the heart of Britain's community, commerce and industry. Join us and you’ll be providing specialist policing to a unique community in a unique environment, dealing with rewarding challenges that you won’t find in any other Force.
We are seeking a highly-qualified Police or Detective Constable to join our Covert Investigation Unit as a Surveillance Officer, to undertake all aspects of mobile surveillance to provide the Force with a surveillance capability to covertly gather intelligence on targeted criminals and/or gather evidence to prove their involvement in crime which will lead to their arrest and conviction. You will also develop and gain an understanding of other aspects of covert policing to include working in one or more of the following covert disciplines: Decoy, Test Purchase, Undercover, CROPS, Covert Internet Investigations, Electronic Tracking, and Training in Covert Methodology.
Please download the role profile below for more details
Before BTP progresses your application, consideration will be given to a number of initial eligibility criteria. Therefore, please consider the following before completing an application:
- Substantive in the rank of Constable
- Qualified Advanced Police Driver
- Qualified Level 1 Surveillance Operative (Q1 Course in ticket)
- Must be prepared to undergo Security Check (SC) clearance and enhanced vetting within BTP prior to taking up post
- Must live within one hour drive of the substantive location (central London)
- Must be prepared to spend extensive periods of time away from home working in all parts of the country
- Candidates must currently be serving in a Home Office force, or have served in a Home Office force within the previous two years
- Candidates who have a current unsatisfactory performance review and/or a performance action plan in place may be rejected during the initial eligibility screening process
- Candidates must have no current findings of guilt in respect of any disciplinary actions or complaints
- All mandatory training must be up to date
Surveillance is a challenging and specialist role. The hours are extremely unsocialable and on occasions operatives are required to work long hours in order to achieve the operational objectives. Surveillance operatives are required to maintain their National Accreditation on a regular basis, and failure to do so will result in them being unable to work within the surveillance arena. As BTP is a National Force covering Scotland, England, and Wales, surveillance operatives are routinely required to work away from their London base and their home address. They are therefore required to reside in temporary accommodation for the duration of the operation.
You will not be eligible to transfer to BTP if you have any convictions, cautions, reprimands and penalty notices (other than some driving penalty notices). You will not be eligible to apply if you have an existing CCJ or IVA outstanding against you. Applicants who have been registered bankrupt will not be considered. Failure to disclose any of the above will lead to your application being rejected.
- Qualified CROPs Officer (in ticket)
- Surveillance Motorcycling qualified (Q2)
How to Apply
Please submit an online application form along with a copy of your most recent completed PDR and your sickness record for the previous three years. Candidates who have not submitted this documentation with their application will not be considered.
Please be advised that we do not accept CV’s or prospective applications for areas not listed. All applications will be subject to a paper sift in line with the required competencies and criteria for the role.