National - Part Time Civilian Firearms Instructors
British Transport police (BTP) require Civilian Firearms Instructors on a Part Time contract paying £37,212.10 to 39,587.34 (pro rata) plus a London Allowance of £2,520.00 (pro rata) to join our Specialist Operations Unit. As the role requires routine national travel, you can be based in any of BTP's locations accross the country. Hours of work will be 20 hours per week averaged over a four week period.
BTP is the national police Force for Britain’s railways. Every day we ensure the safety and security of over six million passengers and staff throughout England, Scotland and Wales. As a Civilian Firearms Instructor, you will teach, train and coach all staff involved in the management, command and deployment of our firearms officers, and support BTP’s on-going national firearms training programme and all other related training. Candidates will be a qualified National Firearms Instructor with recent experience of being an Armed Response (ARV) Officer.
As a Civilian Firearms Instructor, you will be required to:
- Provide shooting and tactical training, as directed by the Chief Firearms Instructor
- Deliver training at various venues at locations across the UK
- Prepare and deliver effective training through classroom lessons, presentations, and a range of instructional duties
- Complete assessments and reports of students against modules and units from the National Police Firearms Training Curriculum
- Undertake research and evaluations into police firearms, equipment and associated tactics as directed
The post holder should recognise that dimensions of the role may require overnight stays away from home at irregular intervals and this is a feature of the core duties. This role does not routinely attract overnight allowance.
For further information and a copy of the role profile, please download the attached Job Description. You may also contact the BTP Recruitment Team on 0121 634 5630 or by email addressed to RecruitmentTeam@btp.pnn.police.uk. Any queries specifically regarding the role may be directed to BTP’s Chief Firearms Instructor by email addressed to Mark.Furneaux@btp.pnn.police.uk
In return, we can offer you:
- £37,212.10 to 39,587.34 plus a London Allowance of £2,520.00 (pro rata)
- 28 days annual leave plus bank holidays (pro rata)
- Final salary pension
- Various salary sacrifice schemes (cycle to work/childcare) and retail discounts
- Successfully completed a National Police Firearms Instructors Course and have been involved in the delivery of firearms training against an ARV role profile within the past 12 months
- Substantial experience as an ARV Firearms Officer
- Hold a full UK Driving Licence
- Hold a current level 3 Award in Education and Adult Training (AEAT) or equivalent
- Undertake annual Job-Related Fitness Test to level 5.4 on the Police Standard test or authorised equivalent
- Recently qualified as an Operational Firearms Commander, or willing to undertake qualification
- Hold an A1 Assessor qualification, or willing to undertake qualification
Please note that the post holder may be required to work at locations across England, Wales and Scotland with overnight stays being sometimes necessary.
We want our organisation to be as diverse as the community it serves and welcome applications from everyone. You must have both the permanent right to live and work in the UK and have been permanently resident in the UK for at least the previous three years. Any cautions or convictions including those deemed ‘spent’ must be declared at the point of application but will not necessarily exclude you from employment.
We kindly ask agencies not to send CVs. If CVs are received BTP reserve the right to engage with the candidate directly and without a fee being paid under any circumstances.