Head of Designing Out Crime Unit
A Head of Designing Out Crime Unit is required on a 12 month contract paying £41,928.74 per annum plus £2,520.00 London Allowance with British Transport Police (BTP) based in our Force Headquarters in London (NW1).
BTP is the national police Force for Britain’s rail network. Every day we ensure the safety and security of over six million passengers and railway staff throughout England, Scotland and Wales. As a Head of Designing Out Crime Unit your responsibilities will be to define and direct BTP's approach to designing out crime and vulnerability across the railway network in order to lead and manage the delivery of the full range of DOCU services, ensuring these are aligned to the Force’s priorities and support policing and industry operations.
As a Head of Designing Out Crime Unit you will have the following responsibilities:
- Leadership – Lead and drive the effective delivery of designing out crime and vulnerability for the organisation and rail industry, and being responsible for defining and implementing the crime reduction strategy on behalf of senior officers across the organisation.
- National Liaison – Where appropriate, actively participate and provide influence to the national crime reduction conferences including the National Crime Prevention Manager’s group, the ATOC Heads of Security forum and BTP’s Work Place Violence and Vulnerability strategic groups.
- Service Delivery – Ensure that the activity delivered by all staff within the DOCU is professional, timely and responsive to current and emerging issues through horizon scanning and future trend analysis. Identifying potential risks and make recommendations for control and mitigation.
- Service Development – Promote and manage the development and implementation of designing out crime and vulnerability problem solving activities. Ensure that departmental KPI’s are met and work with stakeholders to agree relevant service level agreements.
- Relationship Management – Maintain strong working relationships with senior partners, both internally and externally, in order to deliver an effective designing out crime and vulnerability service aligned to BTP priorities, as well as securing implementation of the Safeguarding on Rail and the Secure Stations Schemes. When appropriate and necessary, negotiate and provide influence to the activity of the DOCU.
- Professional Development – Maintain a thorough knowledge of best practice and developments in designing out crime strategies and tactics. Influence and motivate DOCU staff to ensure that the skills and activities being delivered by the unit are up to date and aligned to BTP priorities.
- Performance Reporting – Own the management and delivery of DOCU statistical and tasking information. Provide comprehensive updates on DOCU referral activity to the Head of Public Protection & Vulnerability and relevant departments through the tasking process and to industry partners and other relevant agencies as appropriate.
- Compliance – Ensure that all DOCU and associated problem solving activities are consistent with BTP policies and meet all relevant legal requirements.
- Record and Information Management – Maintain and develop knowledge of required record-keeping and information management practices and requirements.
- Personal Development – Promote and manage the professional development of all DOCU staff and encourage cohesion, innovation and continuous improvement in the performance of designing out crime and vulnerability.
- Policy Development – Ensure that DOCU policies, procedures and references are fit for purpose and aligned to the BTP priorities.
Please see the attached role profile for further information.
The successful Head of Designing Out Crime Unit will be required to evidence the following skills/experience:
- Experience of supporting the delivery of successful organisational, managerial and cultural change within a policing or comparable organisation.
- Proven track record of successfully meeting KPI’s in respect of an end to end transactional service.
- Demonstrable experience of complex stakeholder management, both internally and externally, and ability to negotiate with partners at a senior level.
- Experience of establishing productive relationships with colleagues and customers (internally and externally) and across a variety of levels of seniority to deliver a service that meets customer needs.
- Experience of delivering multifaceted projects and realising benefits within set cost and timescale parameters.
- Educated to degree level or equivalent substantial crime reduction experience and evidence of strategic capability.
- General management qualification or equivalent line management experience
If you are interested in applying to this role then please do not delay as interviews will be held as soon as appropriate candidates are highlighted. In return for your experience, we can offer you:
- Starting annual salary of £41,928.74per annum plus £2,520.00 London Allowance.
- 28 days annual leave plus bank holidays.
- Final salary pension.
- Various salary sacrifice schemes and retail discounts.
We want our organisation to be as diverse as the community it serves and welcome applications from everyone. You must have both the permanent right to live and work in the UK and have been permanently resident in the UK for at least the previous three years. Any cautions or convictions including those deemed ‘spent’ must be declared at the point of application but will not necessarily exclude you from employment.
We kindly ask agencies not to send CVs. If CVs are received BTP reserve the right to engage with the candidate directly and without a fee being paid under any circumstances.
This opportunity is closed to applications.