Media Relations Officer
Would you like a job where no two days are the same?
The BTP Media Relations team is looking for a Media Relations Officer to join our busy team.
We singlehandedly cover England, Scotland and Wales – handling all journalist enquiries, crime appeals and running more than 100 social media accounts.
In the past 12 months alone, we’ve been at the scene of terrorist incidents at Manchester and London Bridge and made front page news by launching armed officers on trains.
The team have also dealt with murder cases, led press conferences at crime scenes, created award-nominated social media campaigns and are currently planning for the Royal Wedding.
We’re now looking for a Media Relations Officer to join us. You’ll be based at our Force HQ in Camden, on a permanent basis.
You’ll be responsible for:
• Writing stories for local and national audiences – we feature in the national press most days
• Creating an array of social media content, including videos and photos, and finding new ways to reach our audiences
• Responding to the public on Twitter and Facebook – our tweets regularly reach more than a million people, so talking to the public is key
• Take part in an on-call rota, in which you have the confidence to deal with cases and incidents out-of-hours
Further information about this vacancy can be found in the attached job description.
The successful Media Relations Officers will be required to evidence the following skills:
• Ability to be self-driven, recognising great opportunities and acting on them • Ability to write press releases, articles, other content and digital material to a high standard and to tight deadlines
• Ability to work in a busy environment, as both an individual and part of a team
• Be flexible and willing to work outside normal office hours and throughout the country if needed
• Knowledge of media law
• Experience of working with national and local media
• Ability to use social and digital media, and drive forward innovation in both In return for your experience, we can offer you:
• Annual salary £25,964.30 + £2,520 London Allowance + a further £4,000 on call allowance
• 28 days annual leave plus bank holidays
• Final salary pension
• Various salary sacrifice schemes (cycle to work) and retail discounts
We want our organisation to be as diverse as the community it serves and welcome applications from everyone. You must have both the permanent right to live and work in the UK and have been permanently resident in the UK for at least the previous three years. Any cautions or convictions including those deemed ‘spent’ must be declared at the point of application but will not necessarily exclude you from employment.
We kindly ask agencies not to send CVs. If CVs are received BTP reserve the right to engage with the candidate directly and without a fee being paid under any circumstances.
This opportunity is closed to applications.