Technical Surveillance Officer
A Technical Surveillance Officer is required for a 12 month fixed term contract paying £26,483.59 with British Transport Police (BTP) based in Doncaster.
BTP is the national police Force for Britain’s rail network. Every day we ensure the safety and security of over six million passengers and railway staff throughout England, Scotland and Wales. As a Technical Surveillance Officer with BTP you will provide technical options and solutions including the installation and deployment of Technical Assets in support of criminal investigations. You will conduct technical feasibility studies and apropriate risk assessments, producing detailed reports to highlight options in support of the investigating officer. The post holder will be responsible for the maintenance, accountability and integrity of Area technical assets utilising force systems and providing technical advice, support and assistance when required such as the retrieval of problematic CCTV downloads.
Please see the attached Job Description for further information.
As a Technical Surveillance Officer you will be required to:
- Provide detailed technical feasibility surveys, including full risk assessments
- Undertake installation of both overt and covert technical equipment ensuring all deployment methods are authorised, Justified Appropriate Proportionate and Necessary (JAPAN) and in compliance with R.I.P.A , the Police Act 1997, and Human Rights policy
- Prepare and Present evidential products obtained through Technical deployments to support the investigating officer and any criminal prosecution.
- Ensure all Technical assets held, purchased, utilised, loaned are accounted for, approved and fit for purpose, and are recorded in an auditable way within the Obelisk database.
- Provide specialist advice in all aspects of technical support and assist with problematic technical issues such as CCTV downloads.
- Provide mutual support to other area Technical Support Officers when required.
- Represent the area on technical support groups keeping up to date with best practice and legislation
The successful Technical Surveillance Officer will be required to evidence the following skills:
- Possess a full driving license including category C or be willing to undertake and pass the category C driving standard.
- Experience or ability to quickly gain knowledge of technical expertise in either electronics or electrical engineering.
- Knowledge of RIPA, human rights legislation and law enforcement techniques and practices
- Knowledge and experience in the use of covert techniques
If you are interested in applying to this Technical Surveillance Officer then please do not delay as interviews will be held as soon as appropriate candidates are highlighted. In return for your experience, we can offer you:
- Salary starting at £26,483.59
- 28 days annual leave plus bank holidays
- Final salary pension
We want our organisation to be as diverse as the community it serves so we welcome applicants from all sections of the community. You must have the right to remain and work in the UK and you must tell us about any previous convictions or cautions including any deemed as 'spent'. These will not necessarily exclude you from employment but they must be declared at the point of application.
Candidates internal to BTP must confirm that they are not subject to formal action plans for sickness/complaints/discipline or poor performance and that a ‘Competent’ rating for current substantive posting.