National Media Relations Manager
We have a really exciting opportunity for an experienced National Media Relations Manager to lead the team which handle our proactive and reactive response on traditional and social media.
Supporting the organisation in its response to five terrorist attacks in a twelve month period is not for the fainthearted, but if you’ve got what it takes we want to hear from you.
- Do you get a real sense of satisfaction, knowing that as a result of your fast and effective direction, lives could well have been saved?
- Do you get a sense pride when the people you’ve nurtured come together as a brilliant team and effectively communicate to a vast variety of audiences during a major incident or crisis?
- Do you get a buzz when people passionately engage in a discussion as a result of social media posts your team have initiated?
If the answer to those questions is yes, then read on.
Here at British Transport Police (BTP) Force Headquarters in Camden, we are looking to recruit an outstanding National Media Relations Manager. The role is a 12 month fixed term contract (maternity leave cover), paying £37,212.10 per annum, plus £2,520 London Allowance and £4,000 on call allowance.
As the organisation's senior adviser on all aspects of media relations handling, the National Media Relations Manager is responsible for:
- Developing and delivering proactive and reactive media handling strategies via traditional and digital media channels.
- Providing timely, accurate and appropriate responses to enquiries from national, regional, local and social media, stakeholders and other agencies, while working within legal guidelines and constraints.
- Ensuring critical and major incidents, as well as significant reputational risks, are effectively managed.
- Having oversight of the Force's social media channels to respond to and clarify misinformation, particularly where it is likely to impact upon or damage the Force's reputation.
- The direct line management of five members of staff, and the second line management of three others, including their training and development.
- Working as part of an on-call rota, responding to out-of-hours enquiries from the media and internal colleagues.
The successful National Media Relations Manager will have:
- The ability to not only work well but thrive under pressure.
- Significant management experience within a press office or newsroom environment.
- Considerable experience in crisis communications management and media handling (traditional and social) during major incidents.
- Exception writing and editing skills.
- The ability to influence, persuade and negotiate, demonstrating gravitas and establishing credibility when giving advice and guidance at all levels of the organisation.
- Significant experience of developing and delivering effective proactive communication strategies with proven outcomes.
- Evidence of building and maintaining excellent working relationships with multiple partners and stakeholders and acting as a representative at a senior level.
- High degree of social media and web literacy – professional use of digital and social media channels.
In return for your experience, we can offer you:
• Annual salary £37,212.10 per annum, plus £2,520 London Allowance and £4,000 on call allowance.
• 28 days annual leave plus bank holidays
• Final salary pension
• Various salary sacrifice schemes (cycle to work/childcare) and retail discounts
We want our organisation to be as diverse as the community it serves and welcome applications from everyone. You must have both the permanent right to live and work in the UK and have been permanently resident in the UK for at least the previous three years. Any cautions or convictions including those deemed ‘spent’ must be declared at the point of application but will not necessarily exclude you from employment.
We kindly ask agencies not to send CVs. If CVs are received BTP reserve the right to engage with the candidate directly and without a fee being paid under any circumstances.