Crime Scene Examiner
A Crime Scene Examiner is required on a permanent basis paying up to £26,483.59 plus 10% shift allowance and 10% on call allowance with British Transport Police (BTP) based in Glasgow.
BTP is the national police Force for Britain’s rail network. Every day we ensure the safety and security of over six million passengers and railway staff throughout England, Scotland and Wales. As a Crime Scene Examiner with BTP you will be expected to obtain forensic evidence through thorough examination and investigation of crime scenes, to record the evidence in a case accurately, to attend scenes and evaluate the best method for forensic recovery and to give advice on scene preservation, packaging and cordons.
As a Crime Scene Examiner you will be required to:
- Responsible for the attendance at crime scenes and major incidents when requested and investigate same.
- Recording of all relevant information and intelligence relating to the scene examination, evidence collection and completion of the examination as well as collecting potential by maximising the recovery of evidence through the use of appropriate techniques. You will need to maintain the continuity, security and integrity of items.
- Ability to obtain the relevant information, decide the types of examination necessary and make an initial assessment. You will also need to prepare for the examination and provide advice to others on control and preservation of the scene.
- Decision making in relation to the efficient and effective forensic examination and recovery of evidence at crime scenes. To evaluate the best method for forensic recovery.
Further information about this vacancy can be found in the attached job description.
The successful Crime Scene Examiner will be required to evidence the following skills and experience:
- The post holder should be fully or partly trained
- The post holder will be qualified to degree level in forensic science but other relevant academic qualifications or relevant experience in the field.
- It is essential for the post holder to have a full driving license and private use of an insured motor car for business purposes.
- Excellent organisational, administrative and interpersonal skills are essential with the ability to communicate both orally and in written report form with people at all levels.
If you are interested in applying to this Crime Scene Examiner role then please do not delay as interviews will be held as soon as appropriate candidates are highlighted. In return for your experience, we can offer you:
- Salary up to £26,483.59
- 10% shift allowance and 10% on call allowance
- 28 days annual leave plus bank holidays
- Final salary pension
- Various salary sacrifice schemes (cycle to work/childcare) and retail discounts
We want our organisation to be as diverse as the community it serves so we welcome applicants from all sections of the community. You must have the right to remain and work in the UK and you must tell us about any previous convictions or cautions including any deemed as 'spent'. These will not necessarily exclude you from employment but they must be declared at the point of application.
Candidates internal to BTP must confirm that they are not subject to formal action plans for sickness/complaints/discipline or poor performance, that all mandatory training courses have been attended and are in ticket/up to date, that a ‘Competent’ rating, or above, was achieved on the last reporting year PDR and they have completed their tenure period (12 months) for current substantive posting.
This opportunity is closed to applications.