Media Relations Officer
Are you looking for a job where no two days, or even two calls, are the same?
We’re on the lookout for a dynamic and creative Media Relations Officer to join our busy and close-knit team.
Think British Transport Police only respond to fare evaders and fights on trains? Think again.
In the last year alone, our team has dealt with five terrorist attacks, murder cases and led press conferences at crime scenes – so you’ll need to be prepared for anything.
As well as providing a first-class media relations service to journalists across England, Scotland and Wales, we’re also responsible for getting people talking on social media.
We’re looking for someone with experience of working in a fast-moving press office or newsroom to join us at our Force Headquarters in Camden.
This is an exciting and challenging role for someone who can:
- Help showcase the outstanding work of our officers, whether its cracking down on knife crime, deterring terrorism or tackling sexual offences
- Create powerful press releases and generate fresh news stories for national and local media
- Design and deliver impactful social media content to help us reach new audiences
- Confidently work out of hours as part of an on-call duty rota, responding to a range of cases and incidents
- Be a self-starter, with a strong understanding of the media landscape
To take on this role you will need:
- Experience of working in a fast moving press office or newsroom
- Excellent, high-quality communication skills and the confidence to build relationships with a range of journalists and stakeholders
- The ability to create top-quality news releases, statements, articles, media briefings and digital communications, often to tight deadlines
- Experience of creating quirky and engaging social media content – driving forward innovation where possible
- To be a self-driven, with the ability to recognise and act upon opportunities to raise the profile of BTP
- To be flexible and willing to work outside normal office hours and throughout the country if needed
Knowledge of media law and a relevant degree would be an advantage too.
Please see job description attached below for further information.
In return for your experience, we can offer you:
- Annual salary £25,964.30 + £2,520 London Allowance + a further £4,000 on call allowance
- 28 days annual leave plus bank holidays
- Final salary pension
- Other benefits include a bespoke BTP rewards platform and various salary sacrifice schemes such as cycle to work and childcare as well as many high street and online retail discounts
This opportunity is closed to applications.