Experienced Detective or Police Constable - Criminal Investigation Department (CID) Guildford
British Transport Police (BTP) police and protect 10,000 miles of track and 3,000 railway stations every day – a network that is at the heart of Britain’s community, commerce and industry. Join us and you’ll be providing specialist policing to a unique community in a unique environment, dealing with rewarding challenges that you won’t find in any other Force.
We currently have exciting opportunities available for qualified Detective Constables or Police Constables with good investigatory experience to transfer or re-join into our CID department in Guildford.
BTP is implementing a project to introduce a new and innovative crime allocation policy and structure; this is based upon threat, risk, harm and complexity modelling, and aims to enhance the standards of investigation provided to victims and witnesses of crime. The allocation policy allows BTP to focus on those crimes that cause the greatest harm, setting out the level of investigator that will be allocated each type of crime.
The successful candidates will conduct proactive and reactive investigations into complex and serious crimes, ensuring that the best possible evidence is secured and that cases are fully and efficiently investigated to allow a considered decision to be taken about the prosecution of offenders. They will also act as a liaison officer for victims and witnesses of crimes being investigated, ensuring that they are made aware of the progress of the investigation with the appropriate support and reassurance.
Please download the role profile and candidates information pack below for more details
Initial Eligibility Criteria
Before the BTP progresses your application, consideration will be given to a number of initial eligibility criteria. Therefore, please consider the following before completing an application:
- Candidates must be substantive in the rank of Constable, or above
- Candidates must have completed their statutory 2-year probation period as a Student Constable
- Candidates must have a good level of investigatory experience, and/or be a qualified PIP2 Detective (desired)
- Candidates must currently be serving in a Home Office force, or have served in a Home Office force within the previous five years
- Candidates who have a current unsatisfactory performance review and/or a performance action plan in place may be rejected during the initial eligibility screening process
- Candidates must have no current findings of guilt in respect of any disciplinary actions or complaints
- All mandatory training must be up to date
You will not be eligible to apply if you have an existing CCJ or IVA outstanding against you. Applicants who have been registered bankrupt will not be considered. Failure to disclose any of the above will lead to your application being rejected.
Applicants with a criminal record will be reviewed on a case by case basis, but may be rejected from the process dependent on the date and nature of the conviction. You are encouraged to email email@example.com if you have any queries on previous convictions.
How to Apply
Please submit an online application form by clicking the Apply button, below.
Please be advised that we do not accept CV’s or prospective applications for areas not listed. All applications will be subject to a paper sift in line with the required competencies and criteria for the role.