We are recruiting for a Special Superintendent to join the British Transport Police. Joining the UK’s only national police force as a volunteer, you’ll take on a crucial frontline role in one of the most challenging environments there is. As BTP is a national Police Force the post holder can be based at a location of their choice however there will be a requirement to attend our FHQ in Camden approx. once a month.
British Transport Police is the national police force for Britain’s rail network, providing a policing service to rail operators, their staff and passengers throughout England, Wales and Scotland. Every day, over 10,000 miles of track, we keep more than 6 million people and 400,000 tonnes of freight safe and secure. It’s a massive task.
Please see below the main purpose of the role of a Special Superintendent within BTP.
- To carry out this role you must be a competent Special Chief Inspector or equivalent.
- To help ensure that the Special Constabulary supports the delivery of the BTP Policing Plan in order to meet corporate objectives and public and railway community expectations
- To deputise for the Special Chief Officer and assist them setting strategy, standards and policy
- To act as a representative of BTP’s Special Constabulary both internally and externally, working closely in conjunction with the Special Chief Officer, Superintendent Territorial Policing Support and Citizens in Policing Manager to lead and develop the Special Constabulary across the force
Please see the attached Job Description for further information on the role.
To join us, you’ll need outstanding resilience and dedication. We’ll expect you to commit to a minimum of 16 hours per month - the maximum number of hours you deliver is up to you.
Whatever your background, you’ll be truly valued as an integral member of our force. We’ll reimburse all your expenses. We’ll help you develop talents - from leadership to responsiveness - that will enhance every aspect of your life.
Eligibility - To apply you must meet the following criteria:
- Achieved Independent Patrol Status.
- To be or have been within the last two years a serving Police Officer of the rank of Special Chief Inspector or above. Applications will also be accepted from regular Chief Inspectors or above.
- Received First Aid Training
- Free from any convictions/cautions/reprimands and penalty notices (other than driving penalty notices) even if you are serving as a Special Constable at the moment with another force.
- Thoroughly grounded in the operational aspects of police work
- Free from any ongoing investigation in your current force
- Have completed your minimum required annual hours and live in or near the BTP policing area you wish to transfer to.
Prohibited Occupations - Please download and check the document below before applying. If you do sit under any of the prohibited Occupations that BTP do not allow, then you will not be eligible to apply and will be sifted out at shortlisting stage.
Cautions & Convictions - Any cautions or convictions including those deemed 'spent' must be declared at the point of application but will not necessarily exclude you from employment.
If you have any queries or questions please contact the Recruitment team on:
Telephone: 0121 634 5630 or email@example.com
We want our organisation to be as diverse as the community it serves. We welcome applicants from all sections of the community.
This opportunity is closed to applications.