National - Experienced Firearms Instructors (Constable)
British Transport Police (BTP) is the national police force for the rail network in England, Scotland and Wales. Every day we ensure the safety and security of over six million passengers and railway staff.
In response to the increased UK threat level from international terrorism, and to ensure we have the right level of resources to respond to any threat, we are significantly increasing our armed capacity in the Midlands and North West.
To help train and support these new teams, we are looking for six Firearms Instructors in the rank of Constable to join our team of Firearms Instructors, which was named Team of the Year at our Make the Difference Awards last year. As the role requires routine national travel, you can be based in any of BTP's locations across the country.
Candidates will be qualified Firearms Instructors and experienced ARV officers, and will teach, train and coach all staff involved in the management, command and deployment of our firearms officers. You will support our ongoing firearms training programme, qualification shoots, and all other training to support the Chief Firearms Instructor and Deputy Chief Firearms Instructor.
Candidates must be prepared to meet the physical requirements of the role with an ability to run to level 9.4 on the Job-Related Fitness Test. Officers must also be prepared to undertake enhanced BTP vetting and medical checks to further determine suitability for the role.
The post holder should recognise that dimensions of the role may require overnight stays away from home at irregular intervals and this is a feature of the core duties. This role does not routinely attract overnight allowance. Unfortunately we are not accepting applications from Civil Nuclear Constabulary or Ministry of Defence officers at this time.
For further information and a copy of the role profile, please download the attached Candidate Information Pack. You may also contact the BTP Recruitment Team on 0121 634 5630 or by email addressed to RecruitmentTeam@btp.pnn.police.uk. Any queries specifically regarding the role may be directed to BTP’s Chief Firearms Instructor by email addressed to Mark.Furneaux@btp.pnn.police.uk
At the time of application, candidates must be able to confirm:
- Currently serving in a Home Office force as a qualified ARV Instructor, or have done within the previous 12 months
- Successful completion of a Police National Firearms Instructors course
- Qualified as a Tactical Advisor, or willing to complete the course
- Qualified as an Operational Firearms Commander, or willing to complete the course
- Willing to undertake operational deployment and/or mentoring of other staff
- No findings of guilt for complaints or poor performance, or subject to any current investigations for misconduct.
- Must not currently be subject to an unsatisfactory performance review or action plan
- All mandatory training is up to date
You will not be eligible to transfer to BTP if you have any convictions, cautions, reprimands and penalty notices other than select driving penalty notices. You will not be eligible to apply if you have an existing CCJ or IVA outstanding against you. Applicants who have been registered bankrupt will not be considered until three years after discharge. Failure to disclose any of the above will lead to your application being rejected.
How to Apply:
Please complete and submit an online application form by clicking the ‘Apply’ button, below. Please note that you will also need to submit a copy of:
- Your most recent completed PDR.
- Your sickness record for the past three years
- A copy of your full Firearms Training record (Chronicle or otherwise), including a copy of the front sheet of your Instructor portfolio evidencing authority to instruct ARV officers.
All applications will be subject to a paper sift in line with the required competencies and criteria for the role; those successful at short listing will be invited to interview and assessments accordingly.
This opportunity is closed to applications.