British Transport police (BTP) require a Weapons Maintainer on a permanent contract paying £22,853.24 plus a London Allowance of £2,520.00 to join our firearms unit in central-London.
BTP is the national police Force for Britain’s railways. Every day we ensure the safety and security of over six million passengers and staff throughout England, Scotland and Wales. As a Weapons Maintainer, you will undertake safety inspections and general maintenance of specific firearms and prohibited weapons used by the force, ensuring all appropriate paperwork and records are maintained for the unit.
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate good organisation and administration skills, with previous experience in weapons maintenance in a professional context and a good understanding of safety procedures in weapons handling.
In return, we can offer you:
- Salary of £22,853.24 plus a London Allowance of £2,520.00
- 28 days annual leave plus bank holidays
- Final salary pension
- Various salary sacrifice schemes (cycle to work/childcare) and retail discounts
The main responsibilities of the role entail:
- Planned maintenance and servicing of all BTP firearms, tasers and associated ancillaries.
- Assessment of reported faults on all BTP firearms/tasers and repair of same, in-house or externally.
- Maintaining database of all BTP weapons, showing type and location, servicing dates, repairs and movements.
- Monitor order and store spare parts for planned maintenance schedules and implement repairs if able.
- Liaise with other police forces, manufactures and other outside agencies regarding weapon development, factory repair and refurbishment where required.
- Provide equipment for demonstration, discussions and assist with same.
- Be responsible for the downloading of information recorded by tasers in the force, and maintaining the database.
- Be responsible for the booking in and out of weapons and ammunition.
- Be responsible for the order/procurement of all ammunition/munitions for force use.
- Be responsible for the maintaining of records relating to the training of firearms/taser officers within the force.
- Undertake any other reasonable task at the request of the unit management.
For further information regarding the role please see the attached profile.
In order to be considered for this role applicants must also meet the initial eligibility requirements below:
- Previous experience in maintaining firearms and tasers, including a good working knowledge of firearms and safe weapon handling
- Experience in accurate record-keeping
- Organisational skills and attention to detail
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to be assertive with more senior colleagues
- Able to work in a high-pressure environment
We want our organisation to be as diverse as the community it serves and welcome applications from everyone. You must have both the permanent right to live and work in the UK and have been permanently resident in the UK for at least the previous three years. Any cautions or convictions including those deemed ‘spent’ must be declared at the point of application but will not necessarily exclude you from employment.
We kindly ask agencies not to send CVs. If CVs are received BTP reserve the right to engage with the candidate directly and without a fee being paid under any circumstances.