Constable - Experienced Dog Instructor
British Transport Police (BTP) is the national police force for the rail network in England, Scotland and Wales. Every day we ensure the safety and security of over six million passengers and railway staff.
In response to the increased UK threat level from terrorism, and to ensure BTP have the right level of resources to respond to any threat, we are significantly increasing our Specialist Operations capacity in the Midlands and North West. This has created a exciting opportunities for Dog Instructors within Keston Dog Training School in London to support the growth of our specialist dogs teams.
The post exists to support the achievement of Divisional and Force-wide objectives through the design and delivery of training for BTP's General Purpose and specialist police dog teams, ensuring all handlers and dogs meet and maintain the required NPCC Police Dog Licensing Standards. You will deliver General Purpose and specialist Search Dog courses, and assess dogs and potential handlers for suitability in the dog handler role.
Please see the attached information pack for further information regarding the role.
In order to be considered for this role, applicants must also meet the initial eligibility requirements below
- Substantive in the rank of Constable or above
- Successful completion of probationary period as Student Officer
- Currently serving in a Home Office force, or have served in a Home Office force within the previous two years
- Accredited NPCC Dog Training Instructor for General Purpose Police Dog Teams
- Accredited NPCC Dog Training Instructor for Explosive Search/Passive Scanning Dog Teams, or experience handling specialist search and passive scanning dogs and willing to undertake an NPCC accredited explosive search dog team instructors course
- Experience as an operational police dog handler, having handled at least 2 operational general purpose police dogs and a specialist search dog
- Must not have any findings of guilt for complaints or discipline
- Must not currently be subject to an unsatisfactory performance review or action plan
- All mandatory training must be up to date
You will not be eligible to apply if you have an existing CCJ or IVA outstanding against you. Applicants who have been registered bankrupt will not be considered. Failure to disclose any of the above will lead to your application being rejected.
Applicants with a criminal record will be reviewed on a case by case basis, but may be rejected from the process dependent on the date and nature of the conviction. You are encouraged to email email@example.com if you have any queries on previous convictions .
How to Apply
Please submit an online application form along with a copy of your most recent completed PDR. Candidates who have not submitted this documentation with their application will not be considered.
Please be advised that we do not accept CV’s or prospective applications for areas not listed. All applications will be subject to a paper sift in line with the required competencies and criteria for the role.
This opportunity is closed to applications.