Forensic Laboratory Officer
Two Forensic Laboratory Officers are required for an 18 month fixed term role paying £29,152.41 plus £2,520 London Allowance with British Transport Police (BTP) based in London.
BTP is the national police Force for Britain’s rail network. Every day we ensure the safety and security of over six million passengers and railway staff throughout England, Scotland and Wales. As Forensic Laboratory Officer with BTP you will Search and examine exhibits using chemicals, high-intensity lighting and other means to recover DNA and other items and develop and record marks as appropriate, efficiently to obtain the best possible forensic evidence within budget and available resources.
As a Forensic Laboratory Officer you will be required to:
- Methodically and accurately record results of tests and analyses using written reports, computer databases and conventional and digital photography to ensure that all systems are kept up to date, auditable and in accordance with the Data Protection Act, Freedom of Information Act, ISO9001 and ISO/IEC Standard 17025 for testing and calibration laboratories.
- Prepare and provide statements of evidence and attend Court to give evidence as required.
- Advise Officers of the results of analyses, advise on the potential for cases and liaise with other forensic providers to maximise the likelihood of securing useful forensic evidence.
Further information about this vacancy can be found in the attached job description.
The successful Forensic Laboratory Officer will be required to evidence the following skills:
- Proficient in MS Office: Word, Excel, Outlook
- Intense concentration and meticulous attention to detail to ensure no errors and that papers and results are recorded promptly, methodically and accurately.
- Ability to work under pressure and to make decisions with minimal supervision.
If you are interested in applying to this Forensic Laboratory Officer role then please do not delay as interviews will be held as soon as appropriate candidates are highlighted. In return for your experience, we can offer you:
- Salary £29,152.41 plus £2,520 London Allowance
- 28 days annual leave plus bank holidays
- Final salary pension
- Various salary sacrifice schemes (cycle to work/childcare) and retail discounts
We want our organisation to be as diverse as the community it serves so we welcome applicants from all sections of the community. You must have the right to remain and work in the UK and you must tell us about any previous convictions or cautions including any deemed as 'spent'. These will not necessarily exclude you from employment but they must be declared at the point of application.
Candidates internal to BTP must confirm that they are not subject to formal action plans for sickness/complaints/discipline or poor performance, that all mandatory training courses have been attended and are in ticket/up to date, that a ‘Competent’ rating, or above, was achieved on the last reporting year PDR and they have completed their tenure period (6 months) for current substantive posting.
This opportunity is closed to applications.