Senior Media Relations Officer
In the past year, the BTP Media Relations team have led the force’s communications response to terrorist incidents in Manchester and London Bridge, announced new counter-terrorism units across the country and made front page news by launching armed officers on trains.
They’ve dealt with murder cases, led press conferences at crime scenes, created social media campaigns and facilitated Royal visits.
We’re now looking for a Senior Media Relations Officer to join the busy team. You’ll be based at our Force HQ in Camden, on a permanent basis.
Working as part of the national BTP Media Relations team, you will be required to:
- Line manage three Media Relations Officers and deputise for the National Media Relations Manager in their absence
- Act as a senior advisor on all aspects of media relations (traditional, social and digital)
- Be responsible for developing and delivering communication strategies and campaigns, both nationally and for local areas
- Lead and manage media relations activity during emergencies, major and critical incident
Further information about this vacancy can be found in the attached job description.
The successful Senior Media Relations Officer will be required to evidence the following skills:
- Ability to be self-driven, recognising great opportunities and acting on them
- Ability to write press releases, articles, other content and digital material to a high standard and to tight deadlines
- Ability to work in a busy environment, as both an individual and part of a team
- Be flexible and willing to work outside normal office hours and throughout the country if needed
- Knowledge of media law
- Experience of working with national and local media
- Ability to use social and digital media, and drive forward innovation in both
In return for your experience, we can offer you:
- Annual salary £29,152.41 plus £2,520 London Allowance and £4,000 on call allowance
- 28 days annual leave plus bank holidays
- Final salary pension
- Various salary sacrifice schemes (cycle to work/childcare) and retail discounts
We want our organisation to be as diverse as the community it serves so we welcome applicants from all sections of the community. You must have the right to remain and work in the UK and you must tell us about any previous convictions or cautions including any deemed as 'spent'. These will not necessarily exclude you from employment but they must be declared at the point of application.
Candidates internal to BTP must confirm that they are not subject to formal action plans for sickness/complaints/discipline or poor performance, that all mandatory training courses have been attended and are in ticket/up to date, that a ‘Competent’ rating, or above, was achieved on the last reporting year PDR and they have completed their tenure period (6 months) for current substantive posting.